Wednesday, January 8, 2014

One word for 2014

Happy 2014!  I hope your new year is off to a great start!

We had such wonderful holidays this year!  I don't know that they were really any different than years past but they were just perfect!  I was sad to take down our tree (or rather watch my hubby take down the tree) and pack it all away.  But now, it's a brand new year...

So all over the blogosphere I've seen people writing about their "Word for 2014".  Have you seen this?  So many posts about "rely" or "simplify" or any other admirable verb or adjective...  But of course, it got me thinking... 

Could I boil down all that I'm praying for and thinking about 2014 to just one word?

I honestly didn't think I could.  You see, I have a tendency to use LOTS of words so getting down to one seemed like a big task. 

But then, after much praying for God's will for this year and dwelling on His words and listening to wise and godly women... It hit me.

Wait.

That's my word for 2014.  Nothing super special or earth shattering for most but waiting for me is not my gift. 

Waiting means for me that truly not MY will but His be done... in my life... in my home... in my plans... in my marriage... in my family... in my hopes and dreams and prayers...

The word "wait" shows up all throughout scripture.  People were constantly waiting... for a sign... for a word... for instruction... for healing... for a baby wrapped in swaddling clothes... for an empty tomb.

They didn't always like waiting but they waited anyway.  And I feel the same way.  I don't like to wait.  I am not naturally a patient person (about most things) so waiting is difficult. 

But I feel so strongly that this is what the Lord is asking me to do in this season of my life.  Wait

Psalm 5:3 says "In the morning, Lord, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before You and wait expectantly."

I can wait expectantly.  The Lord knows my heart.  He knows my deepest desires and I continually lay them at His feet and wait expectantly. 

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:14

"Lord I wait for You; You will answer Lord my God."  Psalm 38:15

But I do not believe that God asks us to wait without hope of an answer.  Without hope of the end to the time of waiting.  Without hope. 

So maybe I couldn't boil it down to one word... maybe it's two... wait and hope.

Praying and waiting expectantly for all that God will do in 2014.  For me, my family as well as you and yours. 


"But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently."  Romans 8:25

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your kind words...